Follow @EllenGrabe Grabe's Gatherings: The Gatorade Diet

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Gatorade Diet

It all started on Thursday afternoon.

Like a baseball bat connecting with the ball on a homerun swing, it hit me. I was craving grilled cheese and tomato soup. Thursday evening at about 5:00 I began to prepare to satisfy my craving. Every dunken bite of my sandwhich was heavenly. My pregnant self ate up two sandwiches and a bowl of soup.

A couple hours later I was beginning to feel as though I had been on a roller coaster time and time again. I was sure it was the pregnancy flutters taking over.

Around 8:45pm I was laying in bed chatting on MSN with some friends. By this point, that roller coaster I was on hadn’t stopped and my stomach was cramped and turning. In the middle of two conversations, I took off to the bathroom and lost my grilled cheese and tomato craving for the rest of my life. 15 minutes later, I picked myself off the bathroom floor, brushed my teeth and went back to continue my conversations.

This routine continued for the next couple of hours. By the time 12:00am hit, I had nothing left in my stomach to come up. That didn’t stop my stomach from convulsing and bringing up unknown subtances though. From 12:30 to 1:30 I couldn’t leave the bathroom. I continually hugged the toilet gagging and moaning for some relief. I called the nurse on call, worried about the pregnancy and dehydration. She advised me to go to the ER if it didn’t let up.

It only got worse. I was so thirsty. My mouth was so dry is felt like a cracked desert ground. My throat was scratchy. I tried sipping some water, but even the sips refused to remain in my stomach. I tried letting ice chips melt in my mouth. They decided they’d rather melt in the tiolet.

At 3:00am, Eric packed up the baby and decided it was time to take me to the ER. I was weak, exhausted, dehydrated--just plain miserable. Once at the ER, rather than having to wait for the nurse to come get me, she had to wait for me. Yup, I was back in the bathroom, ridding myself of my stomach lining.

First they took a large vile of my blood and then hooked me up to three IV’s. One IV was just to get liquids and electrolites back in me. Another one was medicine to make me stop throwing up. The final one was something for my stomach, who knows what at this point. I have had IV’s before, but I have never actually felt the fluids seeping back into my veins. It was such a wonderful feeling of hydration and relief. We remained in the ER until my IV"s were gone and I was able to eat some ice chips and actually keep them in my stomach.

I was released around 6:30 the next morning. I was on a liquid only diet. I call this the gatorade diet. The gatorade diet is the perfect diet. I send kudos to the company that makes Gatorade for coming out with multiple flavors. Once you taste one flavor for the second time, you have no desire to continue drinking that same flavor. I also give kudos to my husband, who after being in the ER with me all night, went out to hyvee and brought home 5 different flavors of Gatorade.

2 days later I am still on my Gatorade diet. I have currently lost 4 pounds, putting me 2 pounds lighter than my prepregnancy weight. The Gatorade is staying in my tummy and I am beginning to feel more hydrated. I am slowing working on eating crackers and noodles. In all honesty, my pregnant tummy wants a double whoper with cheese and extra pickles, but I’ll wait a few more months before I attempt anything of that sorts.

One thing I have learned from this experience is that there are muscles in our body that some may never know we have. I unfortunately have each one of them scream at me every time I move an inch.

This was not in my plans for this weekend. Next weekends goal? Spaghetti Works.

No comments: